Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Get A Life
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Was going to post that this was not sports related, but it is in some tangental way. This is the "community" that deserves special outreach? It gets pretty loud in the MAC Center...might hurt their sensitive ears.

<a href='http://www.recordpub.com/article.php?pathToFile=/articles/news/&file=_news1.txt&article=1&tD=' target='_blank'>http://www.recordpub.com/article.php?pathT...t&article=1&tD=</a>

Memo to some ( not all) of the good citizens of Kent, Ohio:

You might have noticed the institution that starts at the corner at Summit and Main. It's the second largest University in the State of Ohio and without question your economic engine. Yes, you live in a college town. It's a good thing, too, because as I travel through your city two or three times a year, I note how dismal the rest it has become. Without Kent State, you would be another Rootstown where it would be very, very quiet.

Be happy the students are around on weekends to make noise. Because on weekends, they also spend money on food, gas and entertainment. Doesn't look to me like there are enough others left in your town that can do this. However, if the "boarding houses", especially near the campus, are the problem that you cite, why don't you cooperate with the University to tear them down before they fall down for a much better solution?

Got it out of my system...back to sports talk.
10-09-2005 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Aw man, when I saw the thread title, I thought this was a message to Flashy.

Even as a student, I did not always side with the students because many are irresponsible and deserved the arrests they received. But Bargerstock and his ward have a bigger problem than the students. The residents don't like the students living there, but many of their neighbors make a pretty penny renting their property to students. You also should remember this area is also at the center of the Campus Link controversy for a lot of the same reasons. If you tear down the student housing, a few people lose a lot of income.
10-09-2005 08:36 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Reasonable points, KStud. Some students can be irresponsible and deserve the consequences..

My concern is how Kent State can thrive in the atmosphere in the City of Kent. Let's face it, as hard as KSU tries to attract students, the town is an eye sore. Imagine Jamil Tucker comparing Kent to Charlottesville! From a distance, there is far, far too much handwringing over student parties and noise and far too little emphasis in creating an attractice inclusive environment for all.
10-10-2005 06:15 AM
Advertisement

KSUDan Offline
Special Teams

It's too bad he saw Charlottesville. b/c kent is in that category when you compare us to Gary, Ind. 03-wink
10-10-2005 11:38 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Kent has far too much potential to lower its standards to be better than Gary.
10-10-2005 07:04 PM
Flashes Win Again Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

If local officials worked as hard to recruit investment in their city as they work on busting students' balls, it might be a half way decent town. Instead it's a complete shite-hole.

Walking thru downtown Kent a couple weekends was depressing to say the least. Just in the last few months, several long time downtown tenants such as the pharmacy and Key Bank closed. The old Townhouse bar and Screwy Louies looks like it should be condemned. All in all it's a disaster. City officials should kiss KSU's butt because that's the only good thing going in that place.

My main concern is that the general downward trend in the quality of life in the city of Kent has a negative impact on KSU. Fortuantly for KSU supporters, it is for the most part, separate of the city, however parents will eventually have to drive through the city which of course won't help recruit students.
10-11-2005 07:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.