Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Offensive Line
nashvillegoldenflash Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Part of the reason the offensive line is not playing well is because so many of the players have not played very long together as a unit due to the constant replacement of players when injuries occur. One might say that learning to play on the offensive line is like being married. You just have to develop over time. You get to know the guy next to you after playing for so long. But because so many different players have been sent in to play on the offensive line this year, the guys have not had an opportunity to play as a cohesive group.

The Flashes have not been able to run-block well and they have been poor in pass protection. The OL has given up so many sacks this year and the running backs have not been able to get past the line of scrimmage.

Kent may still have some good players on the offensive line despite all the injuries, but they have to be coordinated much better. When the starting players are different each week, coordination is tough. Pass blocking requires a knowledge of how the player next to you will react. Against a defensive stunt, for example, if one offensive lineman steps up and the player next to him steps back or sideways even slightly, that forms a gap that can be exploited. Each offensive lineman has to learn what the other guy does. It is so intricate, the average fan sitting in the stands who hasn't played football probably doesn't understand what happens.

Timing and knowing how another guy steps are so important for an offensive lineman. As a lineman you are always thinking, does he step backward a little bit, does he step up, do I have to slide over more. It is all these little things and it takes time for an offensive line to know one another.

Martin could have given the starting line extra snaps in practice to speed up the jelling process but unfortunately he has not had the same players each week because of all the injuries that have incurred throughout the season.

By now, you would think that everyone should know the system. But it is obvious against Buffalo that some of the new guys are having problems learning it.

Another obvious problem is depth, or lack of it. Behind the starters, the Flashes are terribly thin. As we have seen all year, one injury has devastated the line, and right now the starters are so banged up that they are the walking wounded.

On paper, the Flashes looked like they would be much improved up front this year. But Martin has to deal in reality. On paper doesn't block anybody. So Martin and his staff will have a lot of work to do next year to improve the offensive line so that Machen will have a chance to throw the ball and make completions. Also there has to be some type of a running game to complement the pass.

I honestly believe that next year things will be considerably better.
11-13-2005 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ksufball Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Very informative post. You can tell you've played and I assume at KSU.

I agree except that much of the first half of the year the starters were the same even though 2 of them were new. We are weak on our tackles. I think that when Marifine moved to guard for part of a game, he did much better. He is strong and I think that is a better position for him. And you are right, we are thin.

Part of the problem with pass pro is the QB. He has his own growing pains and he hesitates a lot and also doesn't have the "feel" a good QB has when being rushed.

Part of the run blocking problem is inexperienced RBs not hitting the correct holes, not trusting the holes to open and taking forever to get there.

Agreed that the Oline needs shoring up but, there are other variables. 03-banghead
11-13-2005 06:09 PM
Advertisement

KSU FOOTBALL Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I thought the offensive line coach was responsible for getting these guys together. He makes the recommendations on who plays. During the season when guys were healthy he would have a good combination of different players that made plays and then not stick with it. He would then go back to his old starting line up. His starting line up is still what it was all season. Give the guys who play well in spring ball the job this fall. He does have other good players if only they would be given a chance.
11-13-2005 06:13 PM
KSUDan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State

I agree with all. I was thinking that even if these guys start to get it during the week in practice, it can all change to them in full speed during a game..
11-14-2005 12:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.