Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let the debate ensue -
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Let the debate ensue -
I read this and had to ask myself why we wanted Holt over DJ Cooper.

Cooper led the Bobcats in scoring this week, averaging 18.0 points with 4.0 rebounds, 7.0 assists and 1.0 steals. Cooper, the MAC's leader in assists (5.81) and steals (2.86), made just one turnover in 78 minutes of action. He shot 48 percent (12-25) from the field, 37.5 percent (6-16) from the arc and 75 percent (5-8) from the free throw line.
02-01-2010 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

anti-zip Online
All American

I Root For: kent state!
RE: Let the debate ensue -
Who said Kent wanted Holt over Cooper? I got the impression we wanted them both but Cooper chose OU. It's a little early to be comparing there guys numbers. Cooper is one of the main figures in OU's offense in what appears to be a rebuilding year for them. Holt has been injured and is also playing on a team that has 6 seniors and 4 guys scoring in double figures.
02-01-2010 04:22 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

It was always my understanding from a "public" perspective that KSU was going after Holt first. I think that it was possible that was the public perception because we knew we weren't going to get Cooper. Either way, you can say it's early to compare their numbers, but Cooper leads the MAC in assists and steals. That is pretty solid for a freshman.
02-01-2010 04:28 PM
Flash FreaK 81 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: KSU
No debate at all to this point. Maybe next yeat with a totally healthy Holt there will be, but not now.
02-01-2010 04:32 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

Oh, I agree Cooper is having a great year and I've been really impressed with him every time I've seen him play. I don't think it's fair to compare him and Holt just yet though because they are in completely different situations. Also I never personally got the impression that they were going after one or the other I could be wrong though.
02-01-2010 04:36 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I thought Carducci had said they KSU liked them both and basically offered them both and said the first to accept got the scholarship but i could be wrong there. And i think Holt accepted first so Cooper went to OU.
02-01-2010 05:28 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
I also thought they went after both, Holt was a sure think so they wrapped him up and cooled of Cooper who then went with OU uncontested as we had our PG. I got the imnpression they could've pursued both and ended up with neither so they went with the safe bet even if they thought Cooper was better. And whose to say he'd be doing that with Kent right now?
02-01-2010 06:59 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

Holt must have read the thread. He is having a nice game tonight !
02-01-2010 08:30 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Call this an excuse, but I think its early to pass too much judgement on Holt. Two knee surgeries in a year's time have led to spotty playing time. Tonight, he was on the floor with Sherman and Singletary and looked much much better. I want to see him healthy, and on the floor with the first team before I get too critical of his play. That said, DJ Cooper looks like the best freshman guard in the league for sure.
02-01-2010 10:19 PM
flashbb41 Offline
Water Engineer

holt has a really high ceiling and as far as I can tell he is a team first, tough player...give him time to get healthy and fill out his body before we pass judgement on him
02-02-2010 09:36 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
At this early point in an injury-plagued first season, I think Holt is ahead of DeAndre Haynes at the same stage. (I think I said this before in an earlier thread.) He needs experience. We do not have the luxury of being able to throw him out there for major minutes like OU can do with Cooper. No doubt that Cooper is further along at this point--FOY, no doubt--but the bottom line is that we are in first place, and they are in last place, so the comparison is pointless. Cooper would not being seeing anywhere near the minutes he gets at OU if he were at KSU.
02-02-2010 10:29 AM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(02-02-2010 10:29 AM)axeme Wrote:  At this early point in an injury-plagued first season, I think Holt is ahead of DeAndre Haynes at the same stage. (I think I said this before in an earlier thread.) He needs experience. We do not have the luxury of being able to throw him out there for major minutes like OU can do with Cooper. No doubt that Cooper is further along at this point--FOY, no doubt--but the bottom line is that we are in first place, and they are in last place, so the comparison is pointless. Cooper would not being seeing anywhere near the minutes he gets at OU if he were at KSU.

DITTO, AX,
earlier posters, do not over debate this one at this time. Check back next year.
02-02-2010 12:59 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Went my sons friends birthday party today at the OU-ZIPS game. DJ Cooper is an absolute stud. If we had a legit shot at getting him Geno and crew are probably kicking themselves and will be for the next 3 years. Went for 33 in the loss. Good command of offense, nice jumper, quick, can create his own shot. Couldnt tell how tall he was from the top of that $hit box but he sure would have looked nice in our uni. He abused McNess and Humpty Dumpty all day.
02-14-2010 07:42 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

For all the talk about Cooper the Ou freshman that I most wanted Kent to get was Reggie Keely. I know rivals had him as being interested in Kent, I have no idea how serious it was. If I'm not mistaken I think he played with Holt and Johnson at Bedford their Junior year. I think he is going to be a load for the Mac to handle inside over the next 3 plus years. He had a double double with 20 rebounds today at Akron. Ou has really brought some tallented players in and they have 2 of the highest ranked recruits coming to the Mac next year. They could be a real force in the next few years. Glad we put together what appears to be a very strong class as well to compete.

One more thing about Cooper, yeah he is probably hands down the Mac FOY but keep in mind he is playing more minutes than just about anyone in the Mac. So it's still very early to compare his and Holts numbers.
02-14-2010 11:47 PM
Flash FreaK 81 Offline
2nd String

(02-14-2010 11:47 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  One more thing about Cooper, yeah he is probably hands down the Mac FOY but keep in mind he is playing more minutes than just about anyone in the Mac. So it's still very early to compare his and Holts numbers.

Just got back from the game tonight. From what I saw, if Holt played 140 minutes a game he couldn't match Cooper's numbers. Cooper is probably the quickest player I've seen at the MAC Center since Jamaal Tatum (Southern IL). He has a deadly jumper and can really pass the rock too. His over the shoulder "dump down" to the OU big for the bucket was beautiful.

Holt will likely be good but Cooper has a chance to be one of the MAC's best ever!
02-17-2010 10:29 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Cooper is a season long 29% shooter from distance.
02-17-2010 10:31 PM
Advertisement

JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
And takes too many.
02-17-2010 10:35 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

(02-17-2010 10:29 PM)Flash FreaK 81 Wrote:  
(02-14-2010 11:47 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  One more thing about Cooper, yeah he is probably hands down the Mac FOY but keep in mind he is playing more minutes than just about anyone in the Mac. So it's still very early to compare his and Holts numbers.

Just got back from the game tonight. From what I saw, if Holt played 140 minutes a game he couldn't match Cooper's numbers. Cooper is probably the quickest player I've seen at the MAC Center since Jamaal Tatum (Southern IL). He has a deadly jumper and can really pass the rock too. His over the shoulder "dump down" to the OU big for the bucket was beautiful.

Holt will likely be good but Cooper has a chance to be one of the MAC's best ever!

Oh, I agree Cooper is a great player I've never disputted that. He runs this team though last I saw he was second in the Mac in minutes and he has a phenomonal guard next to him to keep teams from putting their top defender on him. I'm certainly not saying Cooper isn't an absolute stud or hands down the Mac FOY. I'm just saying it is unfair to compare him and Holt just yet.

Oh, and that behind the head pass was absolutly sick!!
02-18-2010 12:06 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

You know what? I started this thread, but am tired of everyone "blowing" Cooper. He is 0-2 against KSU and Holt. Scoreboard.
02-18-2010 12:27 AM
Flash FreaK 81 Offline
2nd String

(02-18-2010 12:27 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  You know what? I started this thread, but am tired of everyone "blowing" Cooper. He is 0-2 against KSU and Holt. Scoreboard.

The thread is about the 2 players, not their teams. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl but he was clearly better than Trent Dilfer.

Again, I like Holt. I just think Cooper is a special talent.
02-18-2010 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.