Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Tourney
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
MAC Tourney
It won't matter this year, but I am not sure why they don't seed the MAC teams by records 1-12. Automatically awarding the division champs the 1 & 2 seeds isn't right. Granted, either KSU or the Zits are going to be the 3 seed and they cannot see each other until the Championship game, but I believe teams should have to earn their seed. I feel like a couple of years ago this backfired when we had a better record than the West Champ and we ended up falling to the 4 seed and being on the same side of the draw as the 1 seed. Maybe I am delusional, but it can happen.
02-24-2010 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
RE: MAC Tourney
I think its kinda pathetic that no west team can seem to ever earn the #2 seed considering they play 10 of their 16 conference games against the west.
02-24-2010 10:03 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
dannyb73, the current system started in 2000. In 1999 Miami and Kent State finished 1 and 2 in the East and were the 1 and 2 seeds and met in the championship game. That is the way it should be. In 2000 it was changed so that a division winner was to get no less than the #2 seed. The divisions were formed primarily for football, to get a conference championship game under NCAA regulations. I can see where the division system is useful in basketball, for scheduling purposes, in the absence of a double round robin system.
02-25-2010 07:38 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Speaking of the tourney the PD said today that if the zits lose at BGSU but beat us and we end up with same record they own all tiebreakers over us? Any know if thats true?
02-25-2010 03:43 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(02-25-2010 03:43 PM)ksu315 Wrote:  Speaking of the tourney the PD said today that if the zits lose at BGSU but beat us and we end up with same record they own all tiebreakers over us? Any know if thats true?

Yes - they swept Buffalo and Miami and we lost to each of them. So when one of those teams finishes 3rd in the East, the Zits will own the tiebreaker.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2010 04:20 PM by dannyb73.)
02-25-2010 04:19 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
ksu315, the first tie breaker is head-to-head competition. So, if Akron and Kent State split, it goes to the second tie breaker, which is the winning percentage vs. the highest ranked team. So, right now Ball State, Buffalo and Miami are all 8-6. I don't know how they would rank, using tie brakers. But anyway, if Akron and Kent State both had the same record versus, say, Ball State, then it would go to the next team until the tie is broken. If Akron and Kent had identical records against every MAC team, which they won't*, the final tie breaker is a coin toss.

* Kent beat EMU, while Akron lost to them. Akron beat Miami twice, while the best Kent can do is split. So, if Akron wins out and Kent beats Miami, it looks like Akron would get the #1 seed because of the Miami results. Of course, EMU is 7-7, so if they finished ranked ahead of Miami, Kent would get the tie breaker!
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2010 04:24 PM by Kent 76.)
02-25-2010 04:22 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-25-2010 04:22 PM)Kent 76 Wrote:  ksu315, the first tie breaker is head-to-head competition. So, if Akron and Kent State split, it goes to the second tie breaker, which is the winning percentage vs. the highest ranked team. So, right now Ball State, Buffalo and Miami are all 8-6. I don't know how they would rank, using tie brakers. But anyway, if Akron and Kent State both had the same record versus, say, Ball State, then it would go to the next team until the tie is broken. If Akron and Kent had identical records against every MAC team, which they won't*, the final tie breaker is a coin toss.

* Kent beat EMU, while Akron lost to them. Akron beat Miami twice, while the best Kent can do is split. So, if Akron wins out and Kent beats Miami, it looks like Akron would get the #1 seed because of the Miami results. Of course, EMU is 7-7, so if they finished ranked ahead of Miami, Kent would get the tie breaker!

FYI

It would be

Buffalo (1-0 against Miami 0-1 against BSU 1-1 Akron, 1-1 Kent)
Miami (0-1 against Buffalo 1-1 against BSU 0-2 Akron, 0-1 Kent)
BSU (1-0 Buffalo, 0-1 Miami, 0-1 Akron, 0-1 Kent)

Buffalo's split against Akron and Kent give it the tier two tie breaker between the three teams..
02-25-2010 04:45 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-25-2010 04:22 PM)Kent 76 Wrote:  ksu315, the first tie breaker is head-to-head competition. So, if Akron and Kent State split, it goes to the second tie breaker, which is the winning percentage vs. the highest ranked team. So, right now Ball State, Buffalo and Miami are all 8-6. I don't know how they would rank, using tie brakers. But anyway, if Akron and Kent State both had the same record versus, say, Ball State, then it would go to the next team until the tie is broken. If Akron and Kent had identical records against every MAC team, which they won't*, the final tie breaker is a coin toss.

Also, if Akron wins out it means a win over Kent (thus Kent will go 1-1 in its last two thus Akron will have a better record)... If Kent Beats Akron (no matter what else happens) Kent wins 1st seed, if Kent Loses to Akron it can still win but a lot depends on how Where Miami and EMU end up..

http://bull-run.blogspot.com/2010/02/mac...os_24.html
02-25-2010 04:48 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
If EMU wins the West, that would give Kent the tiebreaker.

It puts us in the unique situation of having Kent's and Akron's game this weekend meaningless in terms of the regular season championship.
02-25-2010 05:14 PM
BrashFlash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State
Here is another question. If Miami or Buffalo finish in a tie with EM at 9-7, does Miami/Buffalo get the tiebreaker because they have beaten EM, or does it revert to EM because they are the #2 seed because of the bracket seeding?
02-25-2010 07:15 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
BrashFlash, it seems to say that it would NOT revert to EMU.

Men's Basketball Tie-Breaker Information

TIE-BREAKER PROCEDURE

A. Head-to-head competition

B. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

C. Coin flip

*Winning percentage is used instead of record because of situation where teams do not play each other the same number of times. Therefore, a team that is 1-0 (1.000) would win the tiebreaker over a team that is 1-1 (.500).
02-25-2010 07:51 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(02-25-2010 07:15 PM)BrashFlash Wrote:  Here is another question. If Miami or Buffalo finish in a tie with EM at 9-7, does Miami/Buffalo get the tiebreaker because they have beaten EM, or does it revert to EM because they are the #2 seed because of the bracket seeding?

In a three way tie (like this one) start at the top of the conference and work your way down... So assume Kent wins then Akron then probably BSU, then ..., ...
02-25-2010 08:34 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
OK. IF Akron and Kent State end up tied, AND Akron beats Kent State, then Akron will have the #1 seed UNLESS Miami loses to both Kent State and Buffalo, at home, and EMU beats both Central and Northern Illinois, both at EMU.

Miami has the tie-breaker over EMU because they beat EMU. Both Akron and Kent State split with Buffalo. Akron swept Miami, and Kent State can only split with them. Kent State beat EMU, while Akron lost to them. So, EMU has to finish above Miami.
02-25-2010 08:54 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
The bottom line is that Kent State AND Akron control their own destiny, so whomever wins it will have deserved it. As someone else mentioned, the #3 seed may be even better, for MAC tourny purposes. In 2001, Kent was upset at Akron, and it cost them the #1 seed. They were seeded #3 and it was the best of the top 4 seeds for Kent State to have, matchup-wise. They won the MAC tourny and then beat Indiana. So, we shall see what we shall see.
02-25-2010 09:02 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Just win baby! 04-rock
02-26-2010 11:38 AM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
(02-26-2010 11:38 AM)The Flash Wrote:  Just win baby! 04-rock

Agreed, just win the last two and we dont have to worry about anything else.

GO FLASHES!!!!!!!!!!
02-26-2010 12:34 PM
Advertisement

naeskent77 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: kent state
Rpi is now 49 boys :)
02-26-2010 03:09 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
(02-26-2010 03:09 PM)naeskent77 Wrote:  Rpi is now 49 boys :)

A dumb loss in the next 8 days would doom that.
02-26-2010 03:22 PM
ILIKEKENT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent
i hop Ken76 is right I hope KEnt beats Akron again again ib tornament
02-26-2010 06:22 PM
LongtimeFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If Ball State beats Toledo today, the worst they can finish is 4th unless Miami or Buffalo wins out. If the Cards beat Toledo and then Western Michigan, they will be the 2 seed regardless of what Miami and Buffalo do.
02-27-2010 09:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.