Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wrestling Team
burden Online
Heisman

I Root For:
Wrestling Team
Kent just completed a weekend where they won four duals and won the Virginia Dual Championship. In the finals they just beat #9 Missouri 18-14. This is the same Missouri that came into Kent one month ago and beat us 34-12. A hell of a turnaround. Congratualations to the team.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 10:47 PM by burden.)
01-14-2012 10:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
RE: Wrestling Team
(01-14-2012 10:08 PM)burden Wrote:  Kent just completed a weekend where they won four duals and won the Virginia Dual Championship. In the finals they just beat #9 Missouri 18-14. This is the same Missouri that came into Kent one month ago and beat us 34-12. A hell of a turnaround. Congratualations to the team.

Absolutely, congrats to Andrassy/staff/team. They did it without the starter @ 197, Keith Witt, which is more impressive.

Hopefully they can win the MAC regular season and tournament this year.
01-15-2012 10:36 AM
GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

(01-15-2012 10:36 AM)GoFlashes7 Wrote:  
(01-14-2012 10:08 PM)burden Wrote:  Kent just completed a weekend where they won four duals and won the Virginia Dual Championship. In the finals they just beat #9 Missouri 18-14. This is the same Missouri that came into Kent one month ago and beat us 34-12. A hell of a turnaround. Congratualations to the team.

Absolutely, congrats to Andrassy/staff/team. They did it without the starter @ 197, Keith Witt, which is more impressive.

Hopefully they can win the MAC regular season and tournament this year.

Here is an update on Kilgore and him being back in the KSU wrestling room and Akron trying to sway a KSU commit at the last minute:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/kent-state/ke...m-1.254891
01-15-2012 02:49 PM
joepa66 Offline
1st String

Congrats to the matmen of KSU! Haven't been to a wrestling match since I graduated in the early 80s and the program is another centerpiece to show off and talk about when extolling the virtues of KSU. These guys work hard and deserve attention as well and maybe it's time I show my support in person.
01-15-2012 04:56 PM
Advertisement

Lambert58 Offline
1st String

I Root For: KSU
125 - Nic Bedelyon is a legitimate contender for a national championship. He's a top 5 wrestler and has the potential to be #1 in March if he gets hot at the right time. Although he lost to Waters of Missouri for the second time this year, he out-wrestled him in Virginia and should have won.
133 - Stevie Mitcheff is a true 125 but is doing a good job wrestling up a weight class. Although he has struggled at times this year, he has been improving and won against both Old Dominion and Missouri to help KSU win the tournament.
141 - Moving up from 133 has not been a problem for Tyler Small. He is wrestling very well and has become a legitimate AA candidate. He is only a sophomore and beat the MAC's #2 from UB in Virginia. I'm sure they will wrestle each other in the MAC final.
149 - Ian Miller is a stud. As a true freshman, he has handled nationally ranked opponents throughout the year and is our 3rd legitimate AA candidate. With his aggressive style, he has the potential to be a national champion. Perhaps this year is too soon, but with the way he wrestles, you never know. Plus, 149 is one of the weakest weight classes in the country this year.
157 - Shuster has shown that he has the potential to be ranked in the top 20 but he has struggled to be consistent. He can score but has faded in several matches this year when he was leading. This is probably the deepest weight class in the MAC.
165 - Ross Tice is back after being out for 6 weeks. He wrestled well in Virginia but his conditioning probably cost him 2 close matches. As he gets his lungs back, he will contend for a MAC title. In Virginia he lost 1-0 to the UB wrestler who is ranked #1 in the MAC. Although an AA finish is probably not realistic, Ross can win some matches at the NCAAs and deliver valuable points.
174 - Brandon Johnson has probably wrestled the toughest schedule of any wrestler in the country. Although he has taken his lumps, he's done a good job and will be better prepared for the MAC tournament as a result. Relative to the MAC, his test will be this week-end against a very good OU wrestler. His win against Missouri was fantastic and could be a turning point for him this season.
184 - Casey Newburg, after some time off due to an injury, is wrestling very well. Other than 157, his weight class is one of the MAC's toughest with the CMU representative being #5 in the country. Newburg is a top 20 wrestler IMHO.
197 - Keith Witt has done a very good job filling in for Kilgore. He's ranked #1 in the MAC and has some good wins this year. He has the potential to win some matches at the NCAAs but has to perform at the MAC tournament.
285 - Brendan Barlow's year has been up and down. He has had some losses that were unexpected but at the same time, he's beaten some very good ranked wrestlers. In addition to Bedelyon, he was 1 win away from AA status last year. He is our 4th AA candidate and a personal favorite. Although somewhat under-sized, he's athletic and can wrestle with anyone in the country if he pushes the action all 7 minutes. Although he's ranked 3rd in the MAC, I think he's #1.

This is KSU's year in the MAC with CMU and UB being our biggest threats. CMU has a fantastic program but they are down this year. UB is improving and presents some match-up issues in head-to-head competition. We have beat CMU before in a dual and I anticipate a win on January 29. Ditto for February 3 against UB. CMU has dominated the MAC tournament for years and our second place finish last year was the closest result in some time. Because CMU red-shirted 2 of their studs this year, we should win the tournament. As important as the MAC competition is, the NCAA tournament is what it is all about. The goal is to get as many wrestlers to St. Louis as possible. Even without Kilgore, this squad can match last year's 17th place finish because of its depth and multiple AA candidates. For a program that was losing to DII schools 8-10 years ago, Coach Andrassy has done a great job. With several freshman performing well during their red-shirt years, the future looks bright for KSU's top program.
01-15-2012 08:28 PM
burden Online
Heisman

I Root For:
Lambert what do you know about Sam Wheeler who just transferred from Oklahoma to Kent. He was an Ohio state champ from Copley but never wrestled for Oklahoma. Apparently he wanted to get closer to home. Sounds like he could be a big help at 184 next year. What's your opinion?
01-15-2012 09:07 PM
Lambert58 Offline
1st String

(01-15-2012 09:07 PM)burden Wrote:  Lambert what do you know about Sam Wheeler who just transferred from Oklahoma to Kent. He was an Ohio state champ from Copley but never wrestled for Oklahoma. Apparently he wanted to get closer to home. Sounds like he could be a big help at 184 next year. What's your opinion?

He is an excellent athlete and did very well in high school, especially considering that he did not attend a school known for its wrestling and did not wrestle as tough as a schedule as other ranked kids. He will need some work but has a lot of potential. KSU will have a number of older upper weights that have been fighting it out for mat time during the past several years. Throw Kilgore into the mix and its going to be tough for Wheeler, even with his talent, to crack the starting line-up. With any young transfer, he probably needs work on his grades and additional time to adjust to the demands of D I athletics. I think he will contribute next year but his best will come after next season.
01-16-2012 12:26 AM
Lambert58 Offline
1st String

01-16-2012 08:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.