Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scrimmage Today
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Flashes hold a scrimmage today. I presume it's open, as the time ( 4:00 PM) has been released. Artile follows. If any of you attend, would you post your impressions? Thanks.

[quote]
Record-Courier staff writer

In a rare sight for training camp under first-year coach Doug Martin, Kent State will be in full pads for its only traditional-style scrimmage of the preseason today at 4 p.m.

Until today, the Golden Flashes have spent the bulk of two-a-day practices wearing only shells - helmets and shoulder pads. It’s all part of a very different philosophy than the Flashes grew used to in six years under former coach Dean Pees, who would hold a scrimmage almost every week leading up to the opener.

“The theory to practice is that if you are a good athlete, you should be able to practice in shells and still be able to practice at a wicked speed and stay off the ground,
08-21-2004 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

:bluethumb: :bluethumb: :bluethumb: :bluethumb:

Two more weeks before we upset Iowa.
Two weeks and 2 days until we get our first AP vote in 30 years.
08-21-2004 09:28 AM
punt16 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

axeme Wrote::bluethumb:  :bluethumb:  :bluethumb:  :bluethumb:

Two more weeks before we upset Iowa.
Two weeks and 2 days until we get our first AP vote in 30 years.
Thata Boy!!! Now that's what I like to hear! 04-rock
08-21-2004 10:41 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

punt,

Can you be our man on the scene at the scrimmage today?
08-21-2004 01:30 PM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Sounds like Smith - Prudan match up might be something we see a bit of.

Got to love competition for starting spots - good players getting pushed. Maybe Reno has some forsight here- Josh could be challenged a bit for his starting job. At least we won't fall apart if he gets hurt. Jack Williams continues to push in the secondary.

The curse continues. Acid reflux?

[quote]Kent State’s starters were on the field for only 20 plays in the team’s only official intrasquad scrimmage of the preseason Saturday afternoon, but that was more than enough time for several Golden Flashes to shine.

“The thing I liked was that we continue to show an ability to make big plays,
08-22-2004 07:26 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

ABJ has a different take with an emphasis on defensive improvement.

Quote:KENT - Showing improvement from last season, Kent State's defense tallied its share of sacks and minimized the number of big plays it surrendered during a team scrimmage Saturday afternoon at Dix Stadium.

The defense collected six sacks and played well against quarterbacks Antwan Smith and Tom Sitko, a former Hoban standout.

``I like our defense,'' said senior Eric Mahl, an All-Mid-American Conference linebacker in 2003. ``I think the speed that we have on defense is better than we've had before.''

A season ago, the Golden Flashes allowed a MAC-high 260.5 passing yards per game.

On Saturday, safety Abram Elam, and cornerbacks Jack Williams, Gary Ham and Darrell Pierce intercepted passes.

``Jack Williams has caught my eye just about every day out here, and he did again today,'' coach Doug Martin said.

Smith and Sitko played evenly, although Smith showed his tendency to start fast, while Sitko played better in later series. They will split time Sept. 4 at Iowa as starter Joshua Cribbs serves a one-game suspension after a conviction for drug possession.

On the offensive line, the status of left tackle Jason Andrews against the Hawkeyes is in doubt.

Andrews, who has missed fall drills due to a bout with acid reflux, had minor surgery Friday. He is expected back at practice next week, but his level of participation is unknown

``We're just going on as if he's not going to be at Iowa, and if he is, that would be great,'' Martin said.

In his place, right tackle Daniel Carter has moved to the left side, and redshirt freshman Joe Marafine has been elevated to starter at right tackle. If needed, left guard Chad Bandiera can also play tackle.

Last season, Andrews missed seven games after breaking his leg Sept. 6 against Pittsburgh.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08-22-2004 07:35 AM
FIDO Offline
2nd String

Maybe the acid reflux has been caused by the wonderful cafeteria camp food! 03-puke

Its good to see the defense stepping up a bit and the backup QB's show they can be capable. Another important thing is getting out of scrimmages and camp without any major injuries (other than Drager before camp.) Hopefully Andrews can heal up the next few weeks.

Also interesting that they are only having one "official" scrimmage. I like the idea just as they players do too. Fact is though the scrimmages were just a more formal version of team periods they have every day. Coaches usually get good evaluations there by putting the offense and defense in situations they want to see. The thing you miss in scrimmages is the simulated game atmosphere and how players will react.

Talked to a few of the guys this week and they seemed in good spirits and positive about how camp has gone. Being in shoulder pads and shorts alot of the time, has probably helped the speed, tempo, and mental focus of everyone. Being in full pads every day can begin to wear on you. I always liked shells better even though the practices were not much different. And the coaches were still happy as long as we practiced fast and sharp and demonstrated that we were still making the plays. The problem was that we did not always have our best practice in shells so Pees had us in full pads more often.
08-22-2004 10:30 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Thanks for the update and insight, FIDO. It's been a long time since I've been this excited about the season.
08-22-2004 04:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.