Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent-BG women's game
bball72 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent State
Kent-BG women's game
Just got back from the Kent-BG women's game and what a dominant showing by BG. The recruits are interchangeable-each handled the ball well and could shoot, especially the 3 and could do almost anything they wanted against us. They are the best team that I have seen this year.

Today BG was on a higher level than any other MAC team in the east. Maybe even the west-haven't seen any of them play yet.
01-16-2010 05:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Kent-BG women's game
What a mess. Lindsey hasn't recruited a shooter since who knows when. The three pointers are bricks, the free throws stink and the lay ups are straight from the Tiffany LeFleur school of shooting (she almost killed herself once hitting the bottom of the rim on a shot). What a mess. Their offense consists of Humes and Jones driving to the basket. Any good team will stop that enough to win. Also whatever happened to that band of freshman that got all that valuable playing experience two years ago due to injuries. Bennett is OK, Harris looks like a shell of herself from her freshman year, I won't comment on Shields other then to say she is absolutely no threat to score against any decent team which most MAC teams are, Gibson is only a back-up due to her height and her poor shooting (you think after 2 years she would have worked enough to at least be a decent 3 point shooter). Humes I will take although she does more than occasionally brain lock.

Also I remember Kent teams that played bad halfs but would come out of the locker room playing hard and at least let the other team know they would be ready next time. This team does not do that. I don't know if Lindsey just does not connect anymore or if the coaching in the league (and in womens basketball in general) has just caught up. Maybe he was just an average coach in a league of bad coaches.

They seem to have had a pretty good recruiting class and all the current juniors however disappointing will at least provide some depth. If nothing happens next year I think we will become a middling to bad team for a few years.

By the way I think the men are going the same way. It could become not so good at the MAC Center for awhile. I am also worried that Kent has decided to de-emphasize athletics (as somebody else stated) so it might not get better anytime soon. GO WRESTLING TEAM.

You might not believe this but I really want this team to succeed. I have been to almost every game for the last 20+years and would pass on a mens game to see a womens game. I hate watching 1 on 1 pro type basketball that the men so often try to play. But we need something exciting to watch. We don 't always need a Zerman/Studer/Nance team but at least a team that is competitive at home.

By the way these two teams played two games last year that were less than 10 point victories for BG. While very good I think Kent had a lot to do with how BG looked today. We had to press their 3rd string point guard the last 3 minutes or so to get the halftime lead down from 30 to 28 for god's sake.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2010 07:14 PM by burden.)
01-16-2010 07:09 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It is interesting to read this thread after 6 weeks. I obviously was a bit emotional and the team has gone 10-1 since this post. I obviously am not a good predictor. However as I read it player by player I was not that far off. What happened is that the coaching staff and players learned how to win with what they had. They improved to the point where the league can't stop Jones, Humes and sometimes Spears from going to the basket. Bennett is solid. Very solid. Gibson and Shields have not contributed a lot of minutes due to very average play and for the most part the guards keep missing 3 pointers. It shows that if coaches make the changes and players accept them almost any group of competitive players can put a win streak together. I hope they do a lot better against BG this time but even if they don't I promise to be calm (or at least not type until I become calm).
02-26-2010 11:16 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think BG is just a bad matchup for Kent. Kent State beats people with great play on the wings, and BG is tough on the wings. Kent State always seems to struggle with BG's point guard regardless of who it is.

The good thing if KSU wins this week, the tournament bracket will set up with teams KSU has beaten until the finals. That should give them plenty of confidence.
02-28-2010 08:37 PM
Advertisement

KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Kent State appears to be down seven at the half against CMU. Unfortunately, I can't get live stats at work nor can I get 1350 on the radio. I can get 640, but it got moved for talk.
03-10-2010 03:19 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
We've been down at the half for most of the season, it seems. Second half team!
03-10-2010 03:27 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Flashes now pounding CMU: up 11 with 3 min to go.
03-10-2010 04:13 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
They played really well in the second half. Losing Humes for 15 minutes of the first half due to 2 fouls really hurt. They had no offense. Not having a scoring center because of Shields being out has hurt a little down the stretch. She is not great but when she gets going other teams at least have to guard her. Who would have thought Humes would have the season she is having. She might be the best shooting guard we have ever had if she plays as well next year. With her legal trouble after her freshman year it took a lot for her to stick with the team during her years suspension and I give her credit for turning that situation around.
03-11-2010 10:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.