Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mid Major Top 25
hxcmetal Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Mid Major Top 25
Mid Major Top 25

What gives with this? How is this the first week we even appear on here...and we're behind Akron who's been on it all year and are still in the top 20?!

Real Time RPI has us with an RPI of 65 and Akron with an RPI of 133.

Besides that ranking...it really bugs me that with our 65 RPI we play Western Carolina in Bracketbusters who have a 93 RPI (hopefully they stay that high or can move up by the time we play them), and Akron has a 133 RPI and get to play Virginia Commonwealth with an RPI of 50.
02-09-2010 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Mid Major Top 25
I appreciate the spirit of the Mid-Major top 25 and that the coaches of mid-major teams do the voting, but if you pay attention to it week after week, it is clear that they really aren't paying attention to the games that are played. Teams are very slow to move up or down. It's like there is about a month's lag on it. It's too bad because it should be better than the regular poll but it is virtually meaningless the way they do it. They should just let it die.
02-09-2010 07:24 AM
goldenflash99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State
I'm guessing too that since Akron was the preseason MAC favorite, they were ranked pretty high and have just stayed there.

BTW Western Carolina lost last night so they're even less of a help to us now. Last week when they announced the pairings, we had about the same RPI but both teams have since gone 10-15 points in opposite directions.
02-09-2010 08:58 AM
Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2010 07:08 AM)hxcmetal Wrote:  Mid Major Top 25

What gives with this? How is this the first week we even appear on here...and we're behind Akron who's been on it all year and are still in the top 20?!

Real Time RPI has us with an RPI of 65 and Akron with an RPI of 133.

Besides that ranking...it really bugs me that with our 65 RPI we play Western Carolina in Bracketbusters who have a 93 RPI (hopefully they stay that high or can move up by the time we play them), and Akron has a 133 RPI and get to play Virginia Commonwealth with an RPI of 50.

We actually spent a week or two in the 20s on the MM Top 25 towards the beginning of the season. I have been thinking the same thing all season long about how Akron shouldn't even be on it and we should have been ranked higher.
02-09-2010 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
axeme Offline
Sage

Here are the BasketballState.com ratings, which are part of Mid-Majority.com.

MidMaj. Rank/NationalRank
1/10Northern Iowa (VALLEY)
2/14Butler (HL)
3/20Rhode Island (A-10)
4/33VCU (CAA)
5/34Xavier (A-10)
6/35Temple (A-10)
7/37Saint Mary's (WCC)
8/39Utah State (WAC)
9/40Siena (MAAC)
10/41Richmond (A-10)
11/45Dayton (A-10)
12/47Old Dominion (CAA)
13/51Cornell (IVY)
14/55Wichita State (VALLEY)
15/56Northeastern (CAA)
16/59Charlotte (A-10)
17/65William & Mary (CAA)
18/66Portland (WCC)
19/67Louisiana Tech (WAC)
20/70Murray State (OVC)
21/76Kent State (MAC)
22/78Nevada (WAC)
23/79Harvard (IVY)
24/84Wright State (HL)
25/85Montana (BIGSKY)

The next MAC team is Akron at 37/113.
02-09-2010 11:19 AM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
(02-09-2010 07:08 AM)hxcmetal Wrote:  Besides that ranking...it really bugs me that with our 65 RPI we play Western Carolina in Bracketbusters who have a 93 RPI (hopefully they stay that high or can move up by the time we play them), and Akron has a 133 RPI and get to play Virginia Commonwealth with an RPI of 50.

Down to 110 after their loss last night.
02-09-2010 02:09 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

Our RPI really doesn't matter this season at this point because we are not going to be in the hunt for an at-large slot. There were not a lot of great options for which road opponent we were going to get. WCU was a logical choice. I don't mind having an opponent we pound into sand on national TV.
02-09-2010 02:41 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

It matters some...NIT!
02-09-2010 02:51 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
Well, I figure if Kent wins every regular season game but 1, they'll end up with an RPI of about 50, so that's the bubble, but traditionally, the wrong side there of.

If they win every game, they'll end up at 40 and maybe on the right side of the bubble if something bad happens in the MAC tournament. But that said, it's better just to win every game including the MAC tournament. Then 6 more after that.
02-09-2010 02:53 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
Well, I figure if Kent wins every regular season game but 1, they'll end up with an RPI of about 50, so that's the bubble, but traditionally, the wrong side there of.

If they win every game, they'll end up at 40 and maybe on the right side of the bubble if something bad happens in the MAC tournament. But that said, it's better just to win every game including the MAC tournament. Then 6 more after that.
02-09-2010 02:56 PM
Kentville Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The MAC is NOT going to get two teams in the NCAA Tournament, not now, not next year, not the year after that. Accept it and move on. And EVEN IF Kent were somehow to be considered this year, they were hammered by South Florida, Pitt, and Xavier. Case closed.
02-09-2010 04:35 PM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(02-09-2010 07:08 AM)hxcmetal Wrote:  Besides that ranking...it really bugs me that with our 65 RPI we play Western Carolina in Bracketbusters who have a 93 RPI (hopefully they stay that high or can move up by the time we play them), and Akron has a 133 RPI and get to play Virginia Commonwealth with an RPI of 50.

Yeah being a home game and after Western Carolina lost last night I don't see us getting much of an RPI boost with a win here. The match up is kinda fun because of the connections between the coaches and the chance for Porrini to play against his old school next year.

Akron definitely has more of a chance to improve their RPI here but the silver lining is if their RPI is improved so will ours. Honestly even a loss on the road to the RPI #50 will probably boost Akron's RPI. So while it sucks that they got such a better match up it should still help us out.
02-09-2010 06:57 PM
goldenflash99 Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2010 04:35 PM)Kentville Wrote:  The MAC is NOT going to get two teams in the NCAA Tournament, not now, not next year, not the year after that. Accept it and move on. And EVEN IF Kent were somehow to be considered this year, they were hammered by South Florida, Pitt, and Xavier. Case closed.

Sad but true. Even one win over one of those three teams would've helped our case.
02-10-2010 11:07 AM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
Listen, all I'm saying is that the unlikely event that Kent wins every other regular season game and then wins two and losses one in the MAC tournament, then their RPI will be about 40. That along with the win vs. UAB may be enough to put them in, depending on the general shape of the bubble. They would get in in a "weak" bubble year. At this point, it's too hard to tell.

We're talking a very unlikely scenario anyway. Might as well happens about when I win the lottery. In which case, I am sooo coming to Cleveland for the MAC tournament.
02-10-2010 02:41 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Forty usually isn't good enough for a MAC team. You would figure that would be a 10 or 11 seed but it seems like you can always add 3 or 4 to that number for a MAC team which means we would be a 14 or 15 seed. Unfortunatley those seeds go to the conference champions of the real weak leagues. Both the men and the women have been in the mid thirties and have not gotten a bid. Also remember if we win every game we get the automatic bid anyway. The MAC tournament games count in the final RPI.
02-10-2010 07:13 PM
Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

(02-10-2010 02:41 PM)bopol Wrote:  Listen, all I'm saying is that the unlikely event that Kent wins every other regular season game and then wins two and losses one in the MAC tournament, then their RPI will be about 40. That along with the win vs. UAB may be enough to put them in, depending on the general shape of the bubble. They would get in in a "weak" bubble year. At this point, it's too hard to tell.

We're talking a very unlikely scenario anyway. Might as well happens about when I win the lottery. In which case, I am sooo coming to Cleveland for the MAC tournament.

If you win the lottery you have to buy a round in Cleveland!
02-10-2010 11:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

So after the thrashing we gave Akron the Mid-Major Top 25 finally figured out that they had it backwards with Akron around 12 and us around 20 http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/
03-10-2010 11:38 PM
flashfever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ksu
(02-10-2010 11:07 AM)goldenflash99 Wrote:  
(02-09-2010 04:35 PM)Kentville Wrote:  The MAC is NOT going to get two teams in the NCAA Tournament, not now, not next year, not the year after that. Accept it and move on. And EVEN IF Kent were somehow to be considered this year, they were hammered by South Florida, Pitt, and Xavier. Case closed.

Sad but true. Even one win over one of those three teams would've helped our case.

Thats not true! but it is sad that you are so negative thiings can easily change from year to year. Lets say this year we would of beat pit or/and xavier and lost in the mac tourny finals we could have had two teams in the tourny and whos to say that this cant happen next year with our program getting stronger or maybe miami might never know crazier things has happened!
03-10-2010 11:48 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Lol, that ranking is still dumb though. They have Akron ahead of VCU when they both have the same record and VCU destroyed them.
03-11-2010 12:05 AM
Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

I'm sure that the college coaches take the website with the giant Spike TV ad seriously enough to actually research the other teams!
03-11-2010 12:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.