Defensive POY Chris Singletary KSU
03-07-2010 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fallsdog Online
All American

I Root For: Kent State
RE: MAC Basketball Awards
would have been nice to get the MAC POY in Singletary or Greene but KSU is well represented in the awards. Hats off to Coach Ford, Simpson and Singletary!
03-07-2010 01:41 PM
miamiredhawks Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Miami
note that these are not the official awards.
03-07-2010 02:08 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
Perhaps not, but they're "official" enough that they get mentioned in media guides and on team sites.
03-07-2010 02:09 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
Geno is a surprise to me. But like I keep saying, I only saw 4 games in person, one of them was BG. Green will get his day, you just watch Flash Fanatics.
03-07-2010 02:54 PM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
The only one I am a little surprised at is Chris getting def player, I think that is a nod to him since Kool was the POY
03-07-2010 02:58 PM
Advertisement

JSF Offline

DOY was the closest vote.
03-07-2010 03:07 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Understand the Kool pick...he's had an unbelievable year. Would have liked to have seen Chris get it, but as Sing set out to be DPOY, happy to see him get the award he wanted.

Ford and Simpson, to me, are "no brainer" votes. IMHO, not anyone else close on either.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2010 03:47 PM by FlashFan.)
03-07-2010 03:46 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I assume the MAC will announce its selections in Cleveland?
03-07-2010 03:50 PM
JSF Offline

I believe so.
03-07-2010 04:22 PM
miamiredhawks Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Miami
(03-07-2010 02:09 PM)OZoner Wrote:  Perhaps not, but they're "official" enough that they get mentioned in media guides and on team sites.

Yeah, of course. I just wanted to make sure people weren't thinking these were the ones the MAC had selected.
03-07-2010 07:45 PM
Advertisement

cfg Offline
Water Engineer

How can a guy win a conference championship, lead his team in points.rebounds, and blocked shots and field goal percentage. The kid put kent in a position to win the title. Not only that, he is the fifth most improved player in the country. He shoots eighty percent from the line. What criteria do they use? Kent fans should be enraged. In most cases the best player on the best team usually deserves and recieves that award. If kool averaged thirty pts a game and led his team to al least a winning record in the mac then maybe yeah. Player of the year is supposed to be a guy who carries his or her team to lofty heights not an even conference record. This kid from kent also played one of the toughest non confernce schedule in the league and did very well. I just can't see how that aspect of the situation could go without an afterthought. Do you believe twenty one points a game on a seven seeded team in the mac gets player of the year. I for sure have had my intelligence insulted. I guess I will be given a lot of reasons later as to why we kent staters easily accept cool as our poy. One last thing , the mac needs to market these deserving players who are the future of this conference. I think kool would rather have a championship. Every baller I know would truly be embarrassed to accept this award and not be a champion. Later in life you can say I was player of the year and we were 8 and 8 in the conference. Love that mac!
03-07-2010 08:05 PM
JSF Offline

We've had this argument before. If you look at our history, we do not traditionally give the POY award to a player from the #1 team.
03-07-2010 10:15 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
CFG - relax. These aren't the official conference awards, however it is just as likely when the real ones emerge the same result will occur. It is what it is. Win some, lose some. I am guessing when Defensive POY is awarded by the conference, Chris will not win it. That won't anger me either. The entire thing is 75% politics and 25% results. Chris will be 1st team all-MAC as will Justin. That will be good enough and then it's time to focus on beating the Bobkitties. Don't let 'em get you to worked up.
03-07-2010 10:30 PM
cfg Offline
Water Engineer

Ok you are right. I have a feeling these guys only ambition is get to the ncaa and win at least one game. Who knows after that. Thanks bud!
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2010 11:00 PM by cfg.)
03-07-2010 10:58 PM
JSF Offline

(03-07-2010 10:30 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  The entire thing is 75% politics and 25% results.

Are you referring to our awards or Elton and Friends'?
03-08-2010 12:04 AM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(03-08-2010 12:04 AM)OZoner Wrote:  
(03-07-2010 10:30 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  The entire thing is 75% politics and 25% results.

Are you referring to our awards or Elton and Friends'?

OZoner - I have said this before. I do not have the faintest clue who you are. And please do not take that as rude. If you would like to tell those of us who don't know who you are, your qualifications, and exactly what you do, that would be appreciated. Then maybe I will hold some sort of credence to "your" awards. For all I know, you are a blog writer from OU who just announced his winners and is passing them off. No different than if I wanted to.

The "official" awards I am referring to are the ones that the conference will announce on Wednesday (I believe). Anything else, may be nice recognition but is not what the players themselves recognize. Do you think if the conference announces on Wednesday that Justin Greene wins POY, that David Kool will walk around saying some other outfit named him MAC POY in 2010? Maybe/Maybe not, but when the conference announces their awards they will be much more reputable.

Lastly, I think most awards in most sports have a huge percentage of politics involved.
03-08-2010 12:38 AM
JSF Offline

I am J. Scott Fitzwater, a writer for MAC Report Online. MRO is the leading site for MAC news; we regularly get more traffic than the official MAC site. I went to OU and I registered under this name back in my undergrad days (I'd change it if I could), but I leave my Bobcat allegiance at the door. I was on media row for the MAC tournament last year and I will be there again this year. They're not "my" awards, they are MAC Report Online's, and they do carry a certain amount of weight. They are voted upon by the members of our staff that cover the 12 schools in the conference. This is our fifth year with the awards and we're respected enough that schools DO list our awards on their sites and in their media guides. I should also note that it's not the conference that votes on the awards, but a good old boy club headed by Elton Alexander. It used to be the MAC Media Association (of which I was a member), but that was dissolved.

This is my third year with MRO. I also blog with Hoops Junkie, though that's less of a professional outfit and more blog-y.

For the record, I don't think Kool will talk about his award unless you ask him about it. He's that kind of guy.
03-08-2010 02:14 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(03-08-2010 02:14 AM)OZoner Wrote:  I am J. Scott Fitzwater, a writer for MAC Report Online. MRO is the leading site for MAC news; we regularly get more traffic than the official MAC site. I went to OU and I registered under this name back in my undergrad days (I'd change it if I could), but I leave my Bobcat allegiance at the door. I was on media row for the MAC tournament last year and I will be there again this year. They're not "my" awards, they are MAC Report Online's, and they do carry a certain amount of weight. They are voted upon by the members of our staff that cover the 12 schools in the conference. This is our fifth year with the awards and we're respected enough that schools DO list our awards on their sites and in their media guides. I should also note that it's not the conference that votes on the awards, but a good old boy club headed by Elton Alexander. It used to be the MAC Media Association (of which I was a member), but that was dissolved.

This is my third year with MRO. I also blog with Hoops Junkie, though that's less of a professional outfit and more blog-y.

For the record, I don't think Kool will talk about his award unless you ask him about it. He's that kind of guy.

Good to know who you are JSF. You have now convinced me that I was right when I say that the awards are very political. I am not sure if it is still this way, but when I was an undergrad, I know that the coaches voted on the awards and were not allowed to vote for any of their own players. FYI, certain MODS on the site can and will help you change your user name. I live in Memphis, TN and plenty of people wanted to and changed their user names when a certain coach slimed his way out of town with our recruits and the NCAA hammer waiting in the wings.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 06:09 AM by dannyb73.)
03-08-2010 05:57 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Just my opinion, but the only thing certain about annual awards (MRO's, the 'official" awards or the ones given out by your Uncle Jummy) is that they will be followed by a debate. Makes sense..it all comes down to opinions.

Frankly, POY was a particularly close choice this year. I can offer a debate about why it should be Chris or Justin, but understand how others would see Kool.

Only thing I know for sure is that the award our guys really want is the one handed out next Saturday night at the Q.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 07:26 AM by FlashFan.)
03-08-2010 07:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.