Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

5 Days - 5 Questions
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State
5 Days - 5 Questions
Given tip off for Men’s BBall is five days away, thought those who want to can discuss a bit of hoops.

My five questions in the five days to tip off are:

1. Which of the newcomers do you most look forward to watching? ( All of them is a fair answer)
2. Which of the veteran players do you expect to get the Most Improved award?
3. What part of our overall game do you expect to be different?
4. Which team is the sleeper in the MAC East?
5. Which team is the sleeper in the MAC?

Five juicy questions. Jump in anywhere.
11-07-2010 08:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: 5 Days - 5 Questions
1. I liked what I read about the exhibition concerning the experienced newcomers. Kent State has had a lot of success during this run with JUCOs and transfers, and Guyton, Manns and Porrini all will play a huge role from the start.

2. He is not a veteran, but as far as returning players, I want to see improvement from Holt. He showed flashes as a freshman which is about all you expect from a freshman. With Porrini's challenge for playing time, I want to see Holt respond well and have a big year as an offensive contributor.

3. Tempo. Other than Greene, there is no guy on this team that is going to grind out baskets in the half-court. This team as long as it can score in transition will need to play at a higher tempo. It seems like an obvious statement they need to score, but they can't jack up ill-advised 3s early in the shot clock just to say they can play fast. For example, they need to turn a 3-on-3 off a long defensive rebound into a basket or foul shots.

4. I haven't read much about the MAC yet, but I think Bowling Green can be a nuisance. The Falcons might not even finish .500 in the MAC, but Scott Thomas showed at the MAC Center how dangerous he can be and living in Central Ohio, I am intrigued to see what impact their bruising freshman Sealey has.

5. We will see how much a nice second half of the season and a great performance in a MAC tourney loss to Akron did for Eastern Michigan.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2010 08:48 PM by KStud.)
11-07-2010 08:43 PM
barndog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
1. Which of the newcomers do you most look forward to watching? ( All of them is a fair answer)

Probably Manns. Would be nice to have a shot-blocking/defensive presence in the middle. Also curious to see the point guards.

Holt.

Defense -- seems like the Flashes will have a quicker team this season

Not sure if they'll be any sleepers in the East. Outside of the predicted top 3 (OU, Akron, Kent), how any of other teams end up playing (good or bad) probably wouldn't surprise me.

No idea.
11-08-2010 01:13 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Porrini!
Holt (Hey, it's a point guard league, so I'll go with my first two answers.)
I think we will have better shooters, but that would not be hard to improve over last year when our two sharpshooters were not sharp, but they were still shooters.
Miami. Some new faces including a new PG who will make an impact, plus Mavunga will be the 2nd best big man in the league.
CMU and young Ziegler could challenge East dominance by season's end.
11-08-2010 02:05 PM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

________
1. Manns. I want Manns to be the compliment in the post that Greene needs to put up monster numbers and blow run of the mill MAC post competition into the ground. Something like Q and Scott used to. I don't mean to get ahead of myself but if Kent can defend the post ANYTHING like they did with those two.....look out.

2. Holt. I think Greene and Sherman have shown that they can take over a game and are top tier MAC performers. So, MIP honors doesn't really fit them. Holt showed flashes last season and is now healthier, stronger and more mature. I think the ceiling is high for Randal Holt.

3. Transition. If Kent State can get out on breaks and FINISH them I think we could see some high flying action that has been missing from the MAC Center for a few years now.

4. The University at Buffalo. Their frontcourt has talent and experience. Watt, Robinson and Alston can play. Lets see if the guard play develops.

5. This is a tough question. Aside from Buffalo a couple that I feel are flying under the radar are EMU, Akron and in some ways, KENT STATE!
11-08-2010 02:31 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-07-2010 08:03 PM)FlashFan Wrote:  Given tip off for Men’s BBall is five days away, thought those who want to can discuss a bit of hoops.

My five questions in the five days to tip off are:

Five juicy questions. Jump in anywhere.

1. Manns.
2. Holt.
3. Better frontcourt play with Manns replacing Parks and being a better plug on defense. Better PG play with a healthy Holt, Sherman and Porriri (forgive me, I'm sure that misspelled).
4. Miami, because they always seem to be pretty good even when the talent doesn't seem to be there.
5. Miami.
11-08-2010 06:01 PM
etc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Miami
(11-08-2010 02:05 PM)axeme Wrote:  4. Which team is the sleeper in the MAC East?
Miami. Some new faces including a new PG who will make an impact, plus Mavunga will be the 2nd best big man in the league.

Just curious, who do you have as #1? Greene? Jarrod Jones? Washington?

I started to answer, but my answers were going to either be the same as everyone else's or admit ignorance.

BTW - I think you'll find Miami actually has *two* new PGs who will both make a difference.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2010 08:21 PM by etc.)
11-09-2010 08:20 PM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Asking me? Justin Greene will be the best big man in the MAC.
11-09-2010 08:56 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Regarding the guards, I want to see Holt or one of the newcomers to be an offensive force. Did I miss something on Gaines? I saw he did not play in the exhibition.

I think Sherman is best as a defender and a guy who keeps the ball moving on offense. Especially when Singletary was out of the game last year, they used Sherman as a playmaker/scorer and that is not his best role.
11-09-2010 10:07 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-09-2010 10:07 PM)KStud Wrote:  Regarding the guards, I want to see Holt or one of the newcomers to be an offensive force. Did I miss something on Gaines? I saw he did not play in the exhibition.

I think Sherman is best as a defender and a guy who keeps the ball moving on offense. Especially when Singletary was out of the game last year, they used Sherman as a playmaker/scorer and that is not his best role.

Some players were suspended for some off-campus party where things ran amok. I don't know if Gaines was one, but that may explain why he didn't play.

Sherman didn't play last year. Do you mean two years ago?
11-09-2010 10:16 PM
Advertisement

2thaker8 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent St. & Duke
bopol, Sherman did play last season, all 34 games.

KStud, I think Holt will be an offensive force. Geno thinks that Holt is our best shooter and with Porrini looking like he can run the point with the best of them (at least through one exhibition game haha) Holt should be freed up to be a big scorer. I also agree that Sherman is a great defender but while he may not be best as a scorer I would say that he's definitely a playmaker. Just my opinion though.

Only 3 days!
11-09-2010 10:39 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-09-2010 10:39 PM)2thaker8 Wrote:  bopol, Sherman did play last season, all 34 games.

KStud, I think Holt will be an offensive force. Geno thinks that Holt is our best shooter and with Porrini looking like he can run the point with the best of them (at least through one exhibition game haha) Holt should be freed up to be a big scorer. I also agree that Sherman is a great defender but while he may not be best as a scorer I would say that he's definitely a playmaker. Just my opinion though.

Only 3 days!

I'm struggling with mighty confusion.
11-09-2010 11:18 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-09-2010 08:20 PM)etc Wrote:  
(11-08-2010 02:05 PM)axeme Wrote:  4. Which team is the sleeper in the MAC East?

Just curious, who do you have as #1? Greene? Jarrod Jones? Washington?

I started to answer, but my answers were going to either be the same as everyone else's or admit ignorance.

BTW - I think you'll find Miami actually has *two* new PGs who will both make a difference.

#1 is Greene, clearly. I have seen all of the above play numerous times, and I think if we are picking sides, most coaches would take Greene as well, if they had first pick. I think Mavunga is improving, though, and will prove to be better this season than Jones or Washington. What Greene gives you is high points and rebounds every night, and the others have been much more inconsistent. Charlie says he's the best big man in the conference. Who am I to argue with Charlie? 04-cheers

As to the Miami PG situation, I think there is a big difference between Rollins and McHenry. Q. Rollins has the potential to be a top flight non-scoring PG in the MAC--a nice commodity especially for a team that has been forcing SG's into playing PG for years. McHenry seems to me to be a serviceable backup. I can't see him being one of Miami's best 4-5 players this year, and Rollins should keep on the bench next year for sure. I saw QR at Wilmington a couple of times, and he is a polished handler and distributor.

I think Miami will be challenging as one of the top 3 teams in the East this season. Under the radar. Again.
11-10-2010 07:30 AM
Advertisement

Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
All four who didn't play didn't play for disciplinary reasons.
11-10-2010 07:30 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Here’s what Geno thinks:
Geno's Thoughts About This Year's Flashes
11-10-2010 07:50 AM
Flashs Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mid American
1. Which of the newcomers do you most look forward to watching?
Manns. A defensive presence in the middle can change a game.

Holt

They will be a more creative team with a lot of guys who can handle the ball.

Miami

Central Michigan
11-10-2010 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.