Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN Mid-Major Preview (MAC)
barndog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
ESPN Mid-Major Preview (MAC)
Interesting that they picked Kent State as the preseason favorite.

Quote:Mid-American: Kent State

The Western Division of the MAC is a no-brainer, sort of. Central Michigan is the defending MAC West champion two years running under Ernie Zeigler, and it appears to be on the verge of a third. Trey Zeigler is the coach's son who has point guard skills and the versatility to play the 1, 2 or 3 position. He is a dynamic passer with vision and possesses a coach's son's understanding of the game. He can score midrange and see over defenders in the open court and is effective creating passing lanes off the dribble. Like Gordon Hayward, Zeigler is a 3-S (size, skill and scoring ability) player.

The MAC East is a championship grab bag, as Akron, Kent State and Ohio all have a shot. The East has in the recent past been the class of the MAC. With Miami, Buffalo and Bowling Green in the same division, there are no gimmes. The Akron Zips have something no one else has in the MAC, a quality and improving big man. Zeke Marshall is a 7-foot sophomore who showed flashes of defensive brilliance last season. If he can take the next step offensively and become a sometimes go-to post guy, watch out for the Zips. With Brett McKnight, long-range bomber Steve McNees and Nik Cvetinovic all returning, I like Akron's talent and history of success.

Kent State is led by POY candidate Justin Greene, one of the most improved players in the country last season. Scooter Johnson adds size, and Rodriquez Sherman returns as a do-everything point guard. If redshirt junior Justin Manns becomes the defensive intimidator inside, Kent will leap to the top of the MAC.

Others in the hunt: Miami, Ohio, Ball State

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview201...id=5788744
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 06:39 PM by barndog.)
11-11-2010 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: ESPN Mid-Major Preview (MAC)
Do we have to leap to the position we had last year?
11-11-2010 07:32 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State
(11-11-2010 07:32 PM)axeme Wrote:  Do we have to leap to the position we had last year?

03-shhhh Of course we do. Aren’t you still working on the cross over dribble with the guys?
11-11-2010 08:13 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
I like being underestimated so I am fine with having to leap.
11-11-2010 10:37 PM
Advertisement

JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Zeke Marshall showing flashes of brilliance last year?! Did anyone else catch this? He looked like a long-legged lummox with poor conditioning in the two games against us.
11-12-2010 11:50 AM
Flash FreaK 81 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: KSU
(11-12-2010 11:50 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  Zeke Marshall showing flashes of brilliance last year?! Did anyone else catch this? He looked like a long-legged lummox with poor conditioning in the two games against us.

I agree completely! Based on our 2 games and from watching parts of other Zips games, I thought he was a huge disappointment (even for a Freshman). He was clearly NOT a true "top 40" player. As the season went on he did get better and in the MAC tourney seemed to come on strong. Who knows, maybe he'll be a force this year.

From watching Justin Mann's (albeit very limited), he looks to be a far superior athlete than Zeke (in terms of foot speed, quickness and overall coordiantion). We shall soon see!
11-12-2010 01:58 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
I would not count Zeke out yet at all. Remember the vast improvement from Justin Greene from his freshman to sophomore year!
11-12-2010 02:05 PM
Advertisement

goldenflash99 Offline
Special Teams

If he was as good as the recruiting rankings suggested he would have dominated from the get-go last season. There's a reason he ended up signing with Akron insead of a national power. I'm sure he'll be improved this year but am skeptical he will be a difference maker.
11-12-2010 03:59 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Wonder what Rob Senderoff could do with Zeke? Lucky for us, we’ll never know. Have to agree that he was a bust last year, but he may make a big leap from year one to two. I think he’ll meet his match in the Greene/Manns combo, though.
11-12-2010 08:57 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
Akron's biggest loss of the last few years was Jeff Boals going to Columbus. He would have worked with Marshall.
11-15-2010 02:32 AM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
If Zeke Marshall stays four years at Akron, I can almost guarantee you we will be cussing him at some point. There is a major difference between a fast, athletic, post like Manns and a true back to the basket center. Your true 7ft center is usually slow(er) but because of size and positioning makes himself better by developing moves around the basket and with work. A guy like Manns is going to get a lot of baskets off of dunks, hustle plays, and plays that utilize his athletic abilities. 2 totally different players.
11-15-2010 08:09 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Don't get too cocky about Zeke being a bust. The first time I saw John Edwards rhis ed shirt year he was so skinny I swore he had a fatal disease of some sort. In his junior and senior year he became pretty damn good. Maybe not dominating but you were sure glad he played for Kent. By then we might wish Zeke played for Kent. Especially if Akron gets another big to complement him. Sort off like Flomo and Hunter at Ohio a few years ago.
11-16-2010 01:30 PM
KentKrazy Offline
Special Teams

Nice to learn we have John Wall's Cousin. When Nealy joins this team we are only going to get better.
11-16-2010 05:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.