Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Speculate on New Coach or qualifications
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
Speculate on New Coach or qualifications
Now it is time to pick a new coach. We, on this board will not make the hire, but who do we have a chance to get. At least what qualifications would we like to see?
11-21-2010 06:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
RE: Speculate on New Coach or qualifications
Personally, I would love to see a hire similar to OU. Frank Solich is a career coach with a great record and it was time they moved on. Someone like Phil Fulmer. That is just a name as an example.
11-21-2010 06:59 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

1. Someone who drives the Zips fans MADDDDD!!! like Luke Fickell.
( Seriously, making the Zips nuts is just my second criteria03-wink03-wink )

2. Someone with significant play calling experience in cold weather climates. Two implications. One, no coach in training because he’s had either serious coordinator OR HC experience. Two, it wasn’t in a location where it’s warm in November.

3. Someone who can recruit and develop a 210 lb+ running back instead of one at 150 lb.

4. Someone who is Jim Christian with a headset. Someone who HATES to lose and lets everyone in 50 feet hear it. Someone who tells the press "We lost our minds” not “We had a good week of practice.” Someone who the fans LOVE but players and their parents FEAR.

5. Someone who wants to out-coach MAC coaches, not BCS or NFL ones.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2010 07:08 PM by FlashFan.)
11-21-2010 07:07 PM
flashesfan21 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
Maybe Coach Saban in Alabama could be of assistance. Somebody from his staff, or a good recommendation, could be in order!
11-21-2010 07:08 PM
flashesfan21 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
(11-21-2010 07:07 PM)FlashFan Wrote:  1. Someone who drives the Zips fans MADDDDD!!! like Luke Fickell.

2. Someone with significant play calling experience in cold weather climates. Two implications. One, no coach in training because he’s had either serious coordinator OR HC experience. Two, it wasn’t in a location where it’s warm in November.

3. Someone who can recruit and develop a 210 lb+ running back instead of one at 150 lb.

4. Someone who is Jim Christian with a headset. Someone who HATES to lose and lets everyone in 50 feet hear it. Someone who tells the press "We lost our minds” not “We had a good week of practice.” Someone who the fans LOVE but players and their parents FEAR.

As a follow-up, a coach who can bring back a committment to the running game, with backs who are a bit bigger than the current group that we have. Also, come next spring, no position should be secure on the field. Every position, including QB, should be open to competition!
11-21-2010 07:12 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-21-2010 07:12 PM)flashesfan21 Wrote:  
(11-21-2010 07:07 PM)FlashFan Wrote:  1. Someone who drives the Zips fans MADDDDD!!! like Luke Fickell.

As a follow-up, a coach who can bring back a committment to the running game, with backs who are a bit bigger than the current group that we have. Also, come next spring, no position should be secure on the field. Every position, including QB, should be open to competition!

I agree with most, but I do not want the new coach to bring the fall apart down the stretch because Christian overworked them quality.

In all seriousness, I do not want an entire overhaul where he cleans house. The talent has improved. We don't want to be Akron where so many guys transfer out they can't fill the entire roster for several years.

How old is Glen Mason? Does he want to come back? 05-stirthepot
11-21-2010 07:46 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Just as a question, do we need someone with NE Ohio ties, like an OSU assistant. I am not a big fan of OSU, however, would that lend immediate credibility. I am thinking that this is not as important as it used to be. Coach Martin obviously never was accepted in NEO or he did not try that hard. IMO, the talent level in NEO is not what it used to be, so broader based recruiting is called for.
11-21-2010 08:08 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-21-2010 08:08 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  Just as a question, do we need someone with NE Ohio ties, like an OSU assistant. I am not a big fan of OSU, however, would that lend immediate credibility. I am thinking that this is not as important as it used to be. Coach Martin obviously never was accepted in NEO or he did not try that hard. IMO, the talent level in NEO is not what it used to be, so broader based recruiting is called for.

I do not think we need someone with OSU ties, but they have been the gold standard for Midwest football the last few years. Maybe someone on the Nebraska staff? Pinkel has had an up and down tenure at Missouri, but maybe someone on his staff.
11-21-2010 08:41 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
I mentioned Butch Davis on other threads. After Carolina lost to NC State yesterday, I would be surprised if he is still a Tar Heel. I know the agent scandal at Carolina hurt the big-time program, but Davis might work in well with a mid-major BCS team like Kent State on the rebuild. And he has the cold weather experience.
11-21-2010 09:59 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(11-21-2010 09:59 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  I mentioned Butch Davis on other threads. After Carolina lost to NC State yesterday, I would be surprised if he is still a Tar Heel. I know the agent scandal at Carolina hurt the big-time program, but Davis might work in well with a mid-major BCS team like Kent State on the rebuild. And he has the cold weather experience.

He is not the type of character person that we would want.
11-21-2010 10:30 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-21-2010 08:08 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  Just as a question, do we need someone with NE Ohio ties, like an OSU assistant. I am not a big fan of OSU, however, would that lend immediate credibility. I am thinking that this is not as important as it used to be. Coach Martin obviously never was accepted in NEO or he did not try that hard. IMO, the talent level in NEO is not what it used to be, so broader based recruiting is called for.

If you want someone who knows Ohio talent, go after the Mount Union coach. He obviously knows his way around the state enough to get an unbelievable D3 team. He would just need to get a slightly higher caliber player.
11-21-2010 10:34 PM
Advertisement

KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
He burned A LOT of bridges with the media, too. It would get all of the wrong kind of press.
11-21-2010 10:34 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(11-21-2010 10:34 PM)bopol Wrote:  

If you want someone who knows Ohio talent, go after the Mount Union coach. He obviously knows his way around the state enough to get an unbelievable D3 team. He would just need to get a slightly higher caliber player.

This is a tough one. His record is obviously impeccable, but the difference in D111 and D1 is too vast. At D1, you can not win with Ohio talent alone. It would take guts to make this move and it could be a great one. I doubt that JN wants to risk it.
11-21-2010 10:44 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-21-2010 10:44 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  

This is a tough one. His record is obviously impeccable, but the difference in D111 and D1 is too vast. At D1, you can not win with Ohio talent alone. It would take guts to make this move and it could be a great one. I doubt that JN wants to risk it.

That's the trouble. He's head and shoulders above anything at his level (possibly historically so). On the other hand, how would he translate to D1? Is it recruiting or game plans (or both)? If it was just recruiting, well, I doubt I'd give him the shot, but if it is game plans and recruiting, then I might.

That said, I bet JN came to Kent with a list of guys he would call if Plan A didn't work out. I doubt the MCU coach is on it.
11-21-2010 11:52 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(11-21-2010 11:52 PM)bopol Wrote:  

That's the trouble. He's head and shoulders above anything at his level (possibly historically so). On the other hand, how would he translate to D1? Is it recruiting or game plans (or both)? If it was just recruiting, well, I doubt I'd give him the shot, but if it is game plans and recruiting, then I might.

That said, I bet JN came to Kent with a list of guys he would call if Plan A didn't work out. I doubt the MCU coach is on it.

I promise you I am not bagging on anyone here and their opinions. Hiring someone outside of Ohio seems like a must to me. Hiring someone from a D3 school seems like a retarded move to me. If we hire someone from an in-state school, they are going to know all about KSU football and immediately be mentally beaten. You have to hire someone who doesn't give a SH!T about KSU football history and is willing to come in here and just get it done. Someone who knows about KSU history will think this job is impossible and is not a good fit IMO. This is a job for someone with tenure, history, knowledge, and hunger. We have gone the "rookie" coaching route before, the young unproven guy, I just don't see that working anymore. Hell, go after Dan Hawkins or someone with a pedigree.
11-22-2010 01:09 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

Larry Kehres turned down Kent years ago so I doubt he would change his mind now. But he has said that he would move up to D1 if the right oppertunity came up.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/nov...ford-gone/

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/colle...0831p5.asp

I agree with DannyB on this one. I would hate to waste years on a young guy that will just leave first chance he gets if he succeeds in any way. I think a coach in his 40's would be best if we are looking long term. We can always try for a national championship coach like Bobby Bowden who got forced out and might wants to try for the 400 career win mark. Probably wont happen but what are the thoughts on Terry Bowden?
11-22-2010 01:28 AM
Advertisement

KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Terry's been out of it a while. Many feel Tommy got a raw deal with Clemson, but he was kind of like Martin on a larger scale. He always had great talent, but they had a glass ceiling. Also, the Bowden family is not exactly known for running a tight ship.

A relative threw this one out: Dean Pees. I think the AD will want someone new, but it might have been interesting to see what Dean what would have done had he been around another year or two.
11-22-2010 01:44 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Fickell probably makes double now than what the Kent head coach will make. I dont think he's coming here any time soon.

Associate AD i hear has rutgers and Arizona State ties. So look for someone from those 2 schools or alabama.

With low salaries and zero success in last 30 years i would think this is probably one of the bottom 5-10 jobs in all of college football. I suppose if you are major assistant coach you might want it because if you fail you could always go back to being a major asst again??
11-22-2010 09:28 AM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
No coaches looking for a "retirement job" (e.g. Crum), nobody recommended by Holtz (e.g. Cordelli), no Pees, no Holtz, no Davis, no Kehres or any other D III coach, nobosy withouth major D I experience, no rehab cases, no head-cases, nobody that isn't as clean as a hound's tooth.....The only way to go is a young, up-and-coming assistant from a major, successful program, who will use Kent State as a launching pad (e.g. Glen Mason...and in BB Waters, Christian and Heath).
11-22-2010 10:06 AM
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES

KEHRES is not leaving MU, we need a exprienced HC 1-AA, D2 or and up and coming D1 asst. sorry to say but anyone who has success at Kent is moving on. Has happened in football, basketball , baseball. I dont have a problem with that, I think we all just want a winning FB team no matter who the is the coach. If they have success good for us and good for them.
11-22-2010 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.