Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One Team, One Destiny: Game 8
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
One Team, One Destiny: Game 8

They did everything he asked them to do. All I can say is damn good job by coaching staff to make this team believe.
10-28-2012 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

naeskent77 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: kent state
RE: One Team, One Destiny: Game 8
Someone needs to get there hands on a few million dollars to keep this guy around.
10-28-2012 09:57 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(10-28-2012 09:57 PM)naeskent77 Wrote:  Someone needs to get there hands on a few million dollars to keep this guy around.

Fortunately, I don't think he is going anywhere just yet. I would guess he needs another good year to prove it's not a one time thing. Unfortunately, even a few million dollars wouldn't do it. Coaches have dreams of national titles, running big traditional powerhouse programs, and sometimes things as trivial as a few sunny months can make a difference. Bottom line is if someone big wants DH, the same type of money isn't going to keep him in Kent.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 10:41 PM by dannyb73.)
10-28-2012 10:40 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
I think his buyout right now is too steep unless Auburn comes calling or someone like that. But after next year the buyout is significantly less I'm pretty sure. Either way, if he leaves it would mean our football program has been turned around and a few years ago that's all we wanted.
10-29-2012 12:15 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

Im sure Miami fans thought the same of Haywood before he bolted for Pitt.
10-29-2012 02:01 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I think DH deserves whatever he wants. He's a fantastic coach and a better person.
Our buyout offer isn't too big for the big boys, but they may want to see another year. So, we may be talking about this year or next. When that happens, we are in much better shape to find a great replacement. Most guys would not put their careers on the line to take the worst job in D1 football. Now, they don't. Lots easier to run it than fix it and run it.
10-29-2012 07:01 AM
Advertisement

Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Yea there is no buyout large enough to keep a big name program from stealing our coach if money is a motivator. They have plenty of money to match anything Kent could ever hope to put out there. The only way we would keep him is if he wanted something that won't come open any time soon but sees continued success here as being more likely to get him to that job than going someplace with higher competition (or I guess if he just likes it here but that would be highly unlikely that he likes Kent THAT much and I don't blame him as he is not from here).
10-29-2012 09:06 AM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
10-29-2012 09:10 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
I agree, football involves too much money. The MAC has a history of having teams that strike oil one year and are in the dumps the next. I say Hazel needs AT LEAST 2 years to prove himself. I see it as a good thing. We get a couple bowl games, hopefully a couple MAC Championships, and our program is no longer a joke. Then decent coaches will want to come here.
The other question remains: how long does Joel Neilson hang with us?
10-29-2012 09:59 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

For the first October in over 30 years, we are contending for a title. We are shoe ins for our first bowl game, perhaps a big one, for the first time since 1972. We have our best start since the 1940's. We've beaten a ranked team for the first time ever.

I realize that we don't have a lot of practice with football success. But can we just enjoy this season, the one we wondered would ever come, without worrying about the next bad thing to happen?
10-29-2012 10:04 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2012 09:59 AM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  I agree, football involves too much money. The MAC has a history of having teams that strike oil one year and are in the dumps the next. I say Hazel needs AT LEAST 2 years to prove himself. I see it as a good thing. We get a couple bowl games, hopefully a couple MAC Championships, and our program is no longer a joke. Then decent coaches will want to come here.
The other question remains: how long does Joel Neilson hang with us?

Think we have a better chance to lose TK than JN at this point. In my book, TK is one of the unsung heroes of the football resurgence. He'd be missed.
10-29-2012 10:06 AM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
There are several questions that this thread needs an answer to:
1- What teams in larger situations will be looking?
2- What part of the country are they from?
3- Will Hazell look upon any of them as a place where success is reachable?

No doubt, LL and JN will see to it that Hazell gets a new offer from Kent State. It will not be major major, but it will be comfortable. In my casual observation, I do not see a SEC opportunity coming along this year except for Auburn and Arkansas. They will both go much bigger than a second year coach. I do not see a west coast position that is coming open that would be attractive. Here is what I would look for as trouble. The coach at Louisville goes for one of the SEC jobs. Maryland swallows the elephant with their second year coach. That would give our coach two openings that might fit his recruiting base and budget. This may be a slim year for open major, WINNABLE positions. South Florida just came to mind, but I am not sure that Coach would take it. That on might be a mistake. Can not think of a B1G job coming for sure. I think that Coach would probably take any B1G job if they pursued him.
10-29-2012 02:04 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(10-29-2012 02:04 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  There are several questions that this thread needs an answer to:
1- What teams in larger situations will be looking?
2- What part of the country are they from?
3- Will Hazell look upon any of them as a place where success is reachable?

No doubt, LL and JN will see to it that Hazell gets a new offer from Kent State. It will not be major major, but it will be comfortable. In my casual observation, I do not see a SEC opportunity coming along this year except for Auburn and Arkansas. They will both go much bigger than a second year coach. I do not see a west coast position that is coming open that would be attractive. Here is what I would look for as trouble. The coach at Louisville goes for one of the SEC jobs. Maryland swallows the elephant with their second year coach. That would give our coach two openings that might fit his recruiting base and budget. This may be a slim year for open major, WINNABLE positions. South Florida just came to mind, but I am not sure that Coach would take it. That on might be a mistake. Can not think of a B1G job coming for sure. I think that Coach would probably take any B1G job if they pursued him.

I forgot about UConn. That could be a possible, but a stretch. BC is also, but they are at an extreme disadvantage in the ACC. Hazell said that in coming to Kent, he looked at the recruiting area as a big factor. I would not want to be at BC and recruit against FSU, MIA, VTECH, CLEM,UNC.
10-29-2012 05:06 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Quote:I think that Coach would probably take any B1G job if they pursued him.

Yep. And, Purdue might be looking.

But in the meantime, I'm going to fire up the barbie and plan for a Roo Roast.
10-29-2012 05:18 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
I would assume that Purdue, if looking, would go after the NIU coach first.
10-29-2012 07:39 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I think we are lucky in the fact that IF we do lose Hazell we have a former head coach as our defensive coordinator. Who is also a former Tressel assistant. So a big search may not be necessary. A lot of young guys on the coaching staff as well. One can only hope that the football team could start a coaching tree just like the basketball team.
10-29-2012 07:52 PM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2012 07:39 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  I would assume that Purdue, if looking, would go after the NIU coach first.

Probably a good assumption.
10-29-2012 08:29 PM
joepa66 Offline
1st String

I know it's a fact that there will always be shadows in the background which we have no control over and we have to consider the direction of our programs as we live in the moment. I do also think that almost all of our athletic programs have been elevated and that the athletic department has sincere conviction to their success and the image and pride of The University. You can feel the swell of pride in the forum and every extension of KSU and The University will benefit in student recruiting, publicity, fund raising, etc. Athletics is such an important vehicle in marketing and I've said this before, you can have success in the major sports but without success in football the mileage you get is vastly shorter.
10-29-2012 08:34 PM
joepa66 Offline
1st String

Want to know why those guys play with such emotion? Just check out that One Team One Destiny - Game 8 Rutgers video at the top of this thread or by clicking here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...amgJcMRW6Y

I believe that Coach Hazell is totally sincere when he used the "L Word".....
10-30-2012 10:02 AM
cschierh Offline
1st String

He hasn't proven himself as a recruiter. Would the big boys care?
10-30-2012 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.